Who says that Pakoda Kadhi is unhealthy as the pakodas are fried? Why cannot Diabetic or people having heart problems or weight conscious people enjoy kadhi? If the pakodas are baked instead of fried , I think they are too healthy. Those who say that the taste would not be so good and delicious, I bet once you learn this technique of making pakodas, you will not go back to regular fried ones and will enjoy pakoda kadhi more often.. This magic can be created using an Appe pan.
Creating Recipes with a Cause!
I am a proud DFT blogger. To learn about DFT click here
To find more DFT recipes click here
The proud DFT team brings the indulging dishes made in made in Appe/Paniyaram/Abelskiever Pan!
This Week I am contributing PAALAK PAKODA KADHI IN APPE PAN.
Kadhi is a North Indian dish that needs no introduction, at least in India. Everyone knows it well, most love it, including children, and it is cooked regularly in most houses regularly.Kadhi is basically a slightly sour, gluten-free yogurt based gravy which is thickened with chickpea flour. In north India, Pakodas or fritters are also added to the gravy to enhance the taste and flavor. I love Pakoda Kadhi and my mom makes delicious Pakoda kadhi.The Pakodas she makes are super soft and they simply melt in mouth. Although Kadhi is loved by everyone in may family,I usually avoided making kadhi because of oily Pakodas.
Few months back I was introduced to this magical Appe pan at my Aunt’s house. I started searching recipes using this Pan and I came to know that we can make so many baked versions of fried recipes.
When I got to know that this week’s theme is Appe Pan recipes, The idea of making Kadhi flashed into my mind. I wanted to make much healthier so I added Spinach in Pakoda batter. Trust me friends. Kadhi turned out awesome and even Pakodas were very soft when dipped in gravy. My husband said that now make Kadhi more often as this is so healthy.
SPINACH PAKODA KADHI MADE IN APPE PAN
The recipe is divided into two stages-
1. Making Pakodas.
2. Making gravy
Washed Spinach leaves- 1 bunch
Besan or chick pea flour- 3/4 cup
Green chilli chopped- 1 or 2
Salt-to taste( it should be little in quantity)
A pinch of soda.
Water to make batter.
Oil to brush Appe Pan.
Besan- 1/4 cup
whole red chillies- 2
red chili powder- 1/2tsp
Methi seeds-1/2 tsp
heeng- a pinch
Curry leaves- 5-6
water- 2.5 cups( or more depending on desired consistency)
FOR MAKING APPES/ PAKODAS/FRITTERS
1. Wash and chop the spinach leaves and steam them in microwave them for 5 minutes. You can also steam them in gas stove.
2. Once steamed take out the spinach leaves and keep aside.
3. Now make a thin batter using chick pea flour, salt, and water. The batter should not be too thin or too thick.
4. Add the steamed spinach leaves and green chilis and soda.
5. Brush the appe pan with oil and pour this batter into the holes of appe Pan. Cover it with a lid and cook on one side for 10 – 15 minutes.
6. Flip the pakodas and cook for another 10 minutes.
7. Take out the pakodas and keep aside. Make the full batch of Pakodas like this.
1. Combine the yogurt, besan 1/2cup of water in a bowl and whisk well till no lumps remain.
2.Add more 2 cups of water and whisk well and keep aside.
3.Heat the oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds and let them crackle.
4.When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, whole red chilis and fry again for few minutes.
5. Add the curds-besan mixture, and let this mixture cook till you get the desired consistency.
6. Lastly add the pakodas and simmer for 5 minutes on low flame. till the pakodas get well soaked in gravy.
7. Serve hot with brown rice or chappatis and enjoy.
1. There might always be a variation in cooking time and the quantity of few ingerients like salt and water. please adjust the Quantities according to your choice.
2. You may make similar pakodas with many vegetable of your choice.
3. some people who like little sour Kadhi may use mattha or butter milk for making Kadhi.
4. Never add salt in the beginning of kadhi gravy, this may lead to curding.
5. Let us read about the benefits of various ingredients used in this recipe
Spinach : The American Diabetes Association calls spinach a diabetes super food and recommends that you regularly include this dark green leafy non-starchy vegetable in your diet. Besides being rich in vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals, spinach possesses a low glycemic index, which means eating it will help support healthy and stable blood glucose levels.
Regular consumption of yogurt may help lower the risk for Type 2 diabetes, a new study has found.
Chick pea pea flour
According to the American Diabetes Association chick peas serve as a diabetic super food. They are filled with nutrients lacking in the typical American diet, and they will fill you up without a lot of calories. Add chick peas to your meal planning to help keep your blood sugar levels in check.
For information please refer to these links
I am not a nutritionist or dietitian. My knowledge and information is based on my research and reading from different resources. Please consult your doctor or dietitian before making any changes to your diet.
Shailja Ram Ladoo in appe pan
Sonal Veg manchurian balls in hot garlic sauce
Chahat Sham Savera
PrachiMixed lentil falafel koftas
Apsara Minty Falafels in Appe Pan
Anupama Quinoa lentil veg paniyaram
Vidya Multigrain Paniyaram