Paalak Ki Kadhi – Spinach in yogurt gram flour gravy.
Kadhi is prepared using yogurt which is little sour and chickpea flour or besan. Kadhi is a famous north Indian recipe and is made by different ways. I belong to Uttar Pradesh and in my home generally the kadhi is made with Pakodas or dumplings which is also Kadhi Pakoda. Here is the recipe of Kadhi Pakoda
Spinach or Paalak ki Kadhi is a variation of traditional Kadhi with no dumplings and added spinach to the gravy. I ate spinach Kadhi first time at my brother in law’s house who makes delicious Paalak ki kadhi. Adapted from his recipe and with little tweaks, I made this Kadhi which turned out really awesome.
Paalak ki kadhi taste best when it is hot, and is served with hot rice and is dressed up with a tempering of desi ghee. Speaking about Ghee, Do you know how important is ghee for our body? Ignore the misconceptions about this highly beneficial superfood, and start involving them in your regular diet. Not only it helps in digestion but in so many other health problems. No wonder our parents and grandparents insisted so much on eating Ghee.
Coming back to Kadhi, I made this Kadhi a few days back when there was a snow storm. Everybody was a home and we wanted something hot, healthy and comforting to eat for lunch.A bag of spinach in my fridge provoked me to try this delicious paalak ki kadhi.
It is a super easy recipe and all you need is a cup of sour curd, some besan or gram flour, onion, garlic, spices, and spinach. If you don’t want to use onion garlic, you can temper using cumin and Asafoetida. If you like pakodas you can also add the pakodas to this Kadhi. Let us proceed towards the recipe.
- 1.5 cup sour
- 2 tbsp Besan or gram flour or chickpea flour
- 1.5 cup packed chopped spinach
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 small chopped onion
- 7-8 curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Hing or Asafoetida
- ½ tsp methi or fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 whole red chilies
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Mirch
- 2 tsp desi ghee
- 1 tbsp Mustard oil
- water 3 cups or more depending on how thick or thin gravy you like
- In a bowl, combine besan, yogurt, turmeric & red chili powder, and water to make a lump free smooth mix. Let stand.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat mustard oil to smoking point. Remove from heat and let cool for around 1-2 minutes else spices will burn. Add cumin, fenugreek and mustard seeds along with
hing, curry leaves & whole red chilies.
- Return to
stovetop. When spices begin to splutter and you smell the aroma,slowlyadd the Spinach and let it cook for 5-7 minutes till it looses half of its water.
- slowly add the besan-yogurt mixture and mix thoroughly. Return to medium heat and let the
kadhicome to a boil. Don’t be tempted to rush this else kadhiwill curdle.
- Once you see the
kadhistarting to bubble, turn the heat to low and let the kadhisimmer for 10-15 minutes till it thickens and is rich yellow in color. Add salt now to the gravy.
- When ready to serve, warm up the
kadhion medium till you see bubbles on the sides of the pot.
- Next step is the tempering of Kadhi
- In a small saucepan, warm up the ghee and add cumin seeds to it, when they splutter, Add chopped garlic and let it brown.
- Now add chopped
onions ,fewcurry leaves and let them turn brown too. Then add the Kashmiri red chili powder and cook for 30 seconds.The tempering is now ready.
- Top up the
kadhiwith this cumin ghee just before serving along side rotis(flatbread) or steamed basmati rice.
- Enjoy this delicious and healthy Kadhi and serve it to your family and friends. I am sure everyone would love this kind of Kadhi.
1. Make sure that you seive the gram flour before mixing it with yogurt and water to avoid any lumps.
2. Take sour curd or yogurt for maing a perfect Kadhi. If you like more sour Kadhi you can add little lemon juic at the end.
3.A tempering of cumin roasted in desi ghee give this Kadhi an authentic and outstanding flavour. So dont hesitate in adding it to your kadhi.
Read this link for understanding the health benefits of Ghee
You may also like
SPINACH PAKODA KADHI IN APPE PAN