Lobhia pulao is a healthy and flavorful one-pot meal recipe with Black-eyed beans, spices, and basmati rice.Lobhia or Black-eyed peas are actually a bean and are part of the vegetable group on the Food Guide Pyramid.
Delicious and healthy this pulao is a great combination of proteins and carbohydrates. Serve it with a side dish and Raita and your healthy lunch or dinner is ready.It can be a nutritive idea for Kids Lunchbox too.
I love these kinds of Rice preparations which have multiple healthy ingredients in them. Instead of making the curry and rice separately, everything just cooks together and the flavors are infused.Some examples of such Pulao or pilaf recipes from my blog are
Kala Chana Pulao
Spinach and carrotPulao
Kale and Tofu Rice
Layered Soya Biryani
Black Eyed Beans are available dried, frozen and canned and offer several health benefits when included in a well-balanced diet. They make a good addition to soups, stews, and salads and are also a healthy side dish.They are a low-fat and low-calorie food, making them a healthy addition to a weight-loss meal plan. Black-eyed peas are a good alternative source of protein if you don’t eat meat.
I served this Lobhia pulao with Cucumber Raita and Beetroot stir fry. You can serve this Pulao with any main course dish or chicken dish if you want to.
- 1 cup Black Eyed beans
- 2 cups Uncooked Basmati Rice
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder
- 1 chopped tomato
- salt to taste
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp Desi Ghee ( clarified butter)
- 2-3 green cardamoms
- 4 whole cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Soak the beans overnight or for 6 hours. Soak the rice for 1 hour too.
- Wash the rice several times and then drain the water in a fine mesh. Leave aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Once hot add the sliced onions and fry them till turn completely brown. Once they are brown take them out on a paper towel.
- In the same oil in a cooker, add garlic and ginger and saute for 30 seconds. Then add turmeric, cumin, red chili and tomato and cook till the mixture begins to leave oil.
- Now add the beans, salt and water and pressure cook for 2 whistles or until you see that beans are cooked.
- In a heavy-based pan heat the ghee over medium heat. Add the cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon stick and cook for few seconds.
- Add the drained rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans with its liquid and let the rice cook in this mixture uncovered till the rice is almost cooked.
- Lastly, cover and cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the flame. Garnish with cilantro leaves and fried onions and serve.
1. You can replace Black Eyed beans with any other beans of your choice.
2. Don’t pressure cook for much time, keep watching otherwise the beans will turn mushy.