Gudh Ki Chai
Gudh or Jaggery is an unrefined sugar made from cane or palm. It is considered healthier than white sugar as certain plant phytochemicals and minerals are preserved in it. In India Gudh is used widely in home cooking as it has got immense health benefits.
It is very common to eat gudh or sweets prepared from Gudh during winters. Since jaggery contains carbohydrates that take time to get digested, it provides warmth to the body. This is a traditional method to ensure a little warmth during colder days.
Gud ki Chai or Jaggery Tea is one of the famous tea variety which is specially made during winters. I remember, I had first tasted Gudh ki Chai many years back when my father was posted in Aligarh. There was this person we called him “Rajinder Bhaiya”, who used to work at our home at that time. Once I was suffering from cold during winters, and he suggested making Gudh ki chai .
He prepared Gudh ki chai for me and my mother and it really tasted great. It also helped me a lot in getting relief from cold and cough. Not only the recipe but I learned this desi home remedy to get relief from cold ,that day from him. Now when I am in United States and here the temperature go far below freezing point, I have included Gud ki chai on regular basis in our diet. Not only it helps to keep our body warm from inside, but it has other immense benefits too. Check out the foot notes for few of them.
The preparation of jaggery tea is little different form regular tea, where you boil everything together. In this case , we boil the milk separately and then add it to the boiling tea mixture. You can add cloves or other spices too to make masala gud ki chai. Try to include jaggery into your diet at least one small piece , once a day, and it will help you so much in improving your health conditions.
Lets proceed towards the recipe
- To make 2 cups of Tea
- 1¾ Cups of water
- 1½ tsp tea
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 small cube of Jaggery ( more or less according to taste )
- 1/2 cup of milk.
- Heat the water in a deep pan and then add crushed ginger and Jaggery into it.
- In another pan boil the milk . You can also boil the milk in microwave.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the tea leaves into the water and let it boil for 2 minutes. Once the tea mixture is completely boiled strain the tea into cups.
- Now add the boiled milk into the individual cups and give a quick stir.
- Serve the delicious hot tea with some crackers and enjoy it in these chili winters.
- 1. It is important to boil the milk separately and not with the tea mixture , other wise the tea will curdle.
- You can adjust the quantity of Gudh according to the amount of sweetness you want.
- HEALTH BENEFITS OF GUDH
- 1. Prevent Iron Deficiency
- 2.Controls Blood Pressure
- 3.Boosts Body Metabolism
- 4.Prevents Anemia
- 5.Purifies Blood
- and Many more..
Check out the following links for more information