No Indian Main course meal is complete without Pickles. In most Indian households, it is a common sight to find big glass jars filled with freshly made pickles kept on a sunny spot or on a window sill. It is a method of developing the flavors and letting them mature.
Pickles are commonly used as a condiment with main dishes.The most common pickles which are usually found in Indian homes are green chili pickle, Lemon Pickle and Mango pickle. Apart from these, my Mother used to make mix veg pickle, Ginger pickle, garlic pickle and also turnip pickle. Making Pickles in summers was always in the to do list of my mother as well as Grandmother.
I still remember when we used to visit my Nani during summer vacation, mummy and Nani used to spend the afternoons chatting and making pickles. Mummy always used to carry the pickles and snacks made by Nani, while coming back home. I can never make those awesome pickles made by my Nani , but when I found this recipe of green chili pickle on Manjula’s Kitchen and I tried it the first time, I found the taste very similar to the taste of pickle made by my Nani. I always follow this recipe while making my green chili pickle.
When I came to know about this time’s Blog Hop theme “PICKLES”; I thought of making this pickle again. This is a very easy and simple recipe. Green chilies are first washed and dried, and then cut into slits. A spice powder filling is then made and mixed with musturd oil and filled in the green chilies.The pickle is then left outside in room temperature for 2 days and then it is ready to serve.
Lets Proceed towards the recipe.
- 18 Thick Green Chilies or Serrano Chilies
- 3.5 tbsp mustard oil
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp Methi or fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1tsp Amchoor ( raw Mango powder) powder
- A pinch Heeng or Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Vinegar.
- Wash and dry the green chiles and slit them vertically and keep aside.
- Take all the seeds and grind them into a coarse powder in a dry spice grinder. Take them out in a heat resistant bowl and mix all the spice powders in it.
- In a small pan or tempering pan, heat the mustard oil and once hot , add the oil in the spice bowl. Mix it well and then add the vinegar.
- Let the mixture cool and then fill the mixture one by one in each chili. Once all the chilies are filled, store them in an air tight glass container and enjoy after two or three days.
- If you don't find Serrano chilies, you can also use any other thick chilies that are good for filling the spices.
- Once the pickle is made, you can keep it in fridge and enjoy for a month too.
- Make sure the glass container in which you store the pickle is clean, otherwise the pickle will be spoiled.
Check out other yummy pickle recipes by fellow bloggers here
Anupama-Instant Orange Peel Pickle
Mango Ginger Pickle
Parvathy Gajar Gobhi Shalgm ka achaar
Shubha Instant Mango Pickle
Poornima Indian Gooseberry Pickle
Vani Lemon Pickle
Jayashree’s Instant Mango Pickle