This hearty Baked Cauliflower Casserole has distinct flavors of fresh cilantro leaves and green chili and peanuts topped with Cheddar cheese. This one-pot dish can be served as a delicious side on your Thanksgiving table this time.
A casserole is a one-dish meal, which is slow cooked in the oven to let all the flavors infused slowly.The word is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan.The main idea of a casserole is to dump some cooked and some uncooked ingredients in a baking dish and let it cooked in the oven for some time.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and you might be looking for some easy and delectable side dishes on your table along with the main star Turkey. This year try this Baked Cauliflower Casserole which has Indian flavor and cheesy texture. These distinct flavors come from cilantro and peanuts.
Let’s Proceed towards the recipe
- 1 medium Cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 +1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1tbsp maida ( All Purpose Flour)
- 2 cup warm milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 2tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 2tbsp skinned and crushed peanuts
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- For topping you will need
- 2 oz cheddar cheese
- cilantro leaves
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into 1" florets about 4 cups . Boil 6 cups of water , add cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a wok for 30 secods , add the garlic and all purpose flour and cook on moderate heat for 20 seconds, stirring continously.
- Turn off the heat , add the milk, salt and pepper to taste
- Add the grated cheese , mix well. Turn the heat back on and bring the milk - chesse mixture to boil, stirring continuosly.
- Turn off the heat after the first boil and stir in the cauliflower, cilantro leaves, peanuts and green chili
- Grease a baking dish with 1 tbsp of butter ad pre heat the oven to 350 F/180 C
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the top of the baking dish and evenly sprinkle the topping ingredients on top
- Once the oven has preheated for abut 10 minutes, bake the cauliflower dish for 15-20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot with fresh bread and enjoy.
- Make sure that while putting the culiflower in boiling water, you don't overcook the cauliflower, other wise they will loose the crunchy texture.
- If you plan to make this ahead, plan at the most 3 hours before serving, This dish cant be kept for long as the milk tends to curdle after the addition of cheese.
- The cooking time of each oven varies, so keep checking the cauiflower until it is slightly brown on top.
You may also like to try
If you try this recipe and you like it, please share your feedback in the comments below. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
To view this post later pin it here