Tomato rice is a very easy and quick rice preparation which can be using left over or fresh rice.This recipe of tomato rice is made in maharashtrian style using garlic, curry leaves, tomatoes and some spices.
This recipe is also a part of Blog hop Maharashtrian cuisine theme.
As in most of the other states of India, rice is the staple food grain in Maharashtra too. Maharashtrian Food comprises of delicious dishes that oscillate between bland to very spicy in flavors. Maharashtrian cooking is health-oriented and does not mostly involve deep frying in oil and roasting. The Maharashtrian food is rich in flavors varying from mild to extremely spicy dishes.
It was such a gloomy day today, although the temperatures have started growing , but the Sun has taken a long week vacation it seems. The weather channel shows a continuous rain prediction for seven days :(. Such a dull weather and I was not at all in a mood to cook. With a lazy feeling I went in the kitchen to prepare dinner and was thinking of making something very quick and easy. I saw a bowl full of left over rice and thought of making this tomato rice. I had learnt these rice from my friend Geeta, who was also my neighbor in India and is a Marathi.
Although this is a very quick and easy dish, but it taste awesome. You can serve it with cucumber raita, chutney and papads and a complete dinner will be ready in no time. Here is the recipe
- 2 cups boiled rice
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 5-6 french beans chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of Hing or Asafoetida
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1-2 green chilies chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and once the oil is hot, add cumin and musturd seeds and let them crackle.
- Then add Asafoetida, garlic and stir fry for 2 minutes.Then add chopped beans to the pan.
- Then add curry leaves, green chilies and chopped tomatoes. Add salt and red chili powder and let this cook until the tomatoes become soft and they start leaving oil.
- Now add the boiled rice to the pan and mix well. Let the rice cook for 2-3 minutes till all the masala coats the rice.
- Serve hot with yogurt or raita and enjoy this quick and easy meal.
- Both left over rice and fresh cooked rice can be used for making this preparation,but if you're using fresh rice, make sure they are not hot.
- you can add some more vegetables to this recipe like chopped carrots, capsicum and cauliflower.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.