Makhanas are nothing but the lotus seeds; also called fox nuts or gorgon nut. However, being low in fat and high in carbohydrates, these are nutritionally distinct from nuts and seeds. Lotus seeds are a good source of protein, carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc. Lotus seeds are also low in sodium.Read more in notes.
Paneer curry or Indian cottage cheese curry is one of the most popular and in demand recipe in all Indian resturants. Paneer is usually loved by people of all age groups and is so healthy and is full of protein. My mother used to make a curry with both Paneer and foxnuts and it always tasted so delcious. Toady I tried the same curry for my friends who came here for dinner and yes, they just loved this curry so much.
This curry is made in three simple steps.
1. frying the Onions, ginger and garlic with some whole spices
2. Frying the tomatoes with spice powders
3. Blending them all and then making a thick gravy with Paneer, peas and Makhanas.
You can add or subtract the spices according to your choices. You can also skip adding the cashews and cream. I used fresh beaten yogurt for the richness, but some people love adding cream. Choose what ever your family likes.A very easy and delicious recipe which you can devour with Naan or rotis or even Parathas.
lets proceed towards the recipe
- 400gms Paneer Cut into cubes
- 1cup Makhana ( Foxnuts)
- 1/2 cup boiled peas
- 1 big onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1.5 inch ginger chopped
- 2 big tomatoes chopped
- 5 cashews
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 big cardamom'
- 2 small cardamom
- 5-6 black Peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Deghi Mirch or Paprika
- 1tbsp of Kasuri methi ( Dry Fenugreek leaves)powder
- salt to taste
- oil or Ghee- 2tbsp
- 1/2 cup beaten curd/fresh cream ( depends on your choice).
- Dry roast the makhanas in a non stick pan for few minutes and set aside.
- In a non stick pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and add bay leaf, then add all cinnamon stick, cardamoms, pepper, cloves, cumin and roast them for 30 seconds.
- then add chopped onions and fry them till they turn pink. Add garlic and ginger and cook them till the raw smell goes off. Then add the cashews and fry them too for a while. Switch off the flame and take this mixture out in a plate. Keep this mixture aside and let it cool down.
- Heat the pan again and add the remaining oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tomatoes and little bit of salt, turmeric and cook the tomatoes till they are soft. Now add chili powder and coriander powder also and cook for 5 minutes till the tomatoes are soft and well cooked along with the spices. Turn off the flame and take this mixture out too.
- Now pour the onion and tomato mixtures in a blender and blend them to make a fine paste. Once the paste is ready, take a strainer and strain the mixture so that you get a silky gravy.
- Heat the pan again and pour this gravy into the pan. Add Makhanas and 2-3 cups of water and let this gravy cook for 10 minutes. Once the gravy gets cooked for 10 minutes, add the cubed paneer pieces and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the crushed Kasuri methi leaves and lastly add fresh cream or beaten curd and stir continuously while adding them.
- Garnish with dry kasuri methi leaves and serve hot with Naan, Chappatis or Rice and Enjoy !
- Benefits of Makhana Or Fox nuts!
- Most significantly, the glycemic index of lotus seed is significantly lower than most high carbohydrate foods like rice, bread and others. It appears that lotus seeds may have a beneficial effect on diabetic individuals, and may be one of the more appropriate foods for them. introduce the ‘makhana’ snack food in your regular diet for that healthy edge.(Source of Info- Wikipedia and Indian Express.)