A big Thankyou to all my readers who loved and appreciated my First Meal plan for Navratri! As I promised in my earlier post, here I am bringing another meal plan for you all. Many of you wrote to me that you eat only once […]
HAPPY NAVRATRI EVERYONE!! Navaratri is a festival dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity Durga. The word Navaratri means ‘nine nights’ in Sanskrit, Nava meaning nine and Ratri meaning nights. is a festival dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity Durga . The […]
Layered Soya Curry Biryani- Basmati rice cooked with vegetables and layered with a delicious curry made with soya chunks, poppy seeds, and few more flavorful ingredients.
A complete one-pot meal to be enjoyed either in lunch or dinner or even you can carry out for a picnic. My kids call this as Picnic biryani as we really don’t need anything another side dish to enjoy this scrumptious meal.
In my earlier posts, I wrote that my entire family was here and we had a lot of fun. One weekend, we decided to go for a picnic in a nearby recreational park. Our plan was to spend the whole day there chatting, playing and eating.I made this Layered Soya Curry Biryani for the same and everyone loved it so much. The best part is, it is a one-pot meal and you don’t need anything along with this.
The recipe is divided into 3 parts
1.Preparing the vegetable rice
2.Preparing the Soya curry
3.Layering and baking them together.
Let us proceed with the recipe
- FOR THE RICE
- 1 cup boiled sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
- 3 cups cooked long grained rice (basmati)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 5 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 1/2 cup chopped capsicum
- 1/2 cup boiled carrot cubes
- salt to taste
- FOR THE CURRY
- 1 cup SoyaNuggets
- 1 cup roughly chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 tsp poppy (khus-khus) seeds
- 3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh Plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ALSO WE WOULD NEED
- 2 tbsp ghee for greasing
- 2 tsp milk
- some mint leaves for garnish
- FOR THE RICE
- Heat the ghee in a Kadhai or non stick pan and add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, corn, carrot and salt and water. Cover the pan with lid and cook the rice. turn off the flame when the rice is almost cooked.
- TO MAKE THE SOYA CURRY
- Soak the Soya nuggets in warm water for 15 minutes, Squeeze them and keep aside.
- In a blender , grind together onions, garlic, ginger, poppy seeds,cinnamon, coriander,cumin,cardamom and red chilies.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, and add the bay leaf.Now add the prepared paste and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the soya nuggets and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the yogurt , mix well and add 1/2 cup of water and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- LAYERING THE RICE AND CURRY
- Grease a microwave safe baking bowl with ghee, put 1 portion of rice in it and spread it evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Put the prepared curry over it and spread it evenly.
- Finally add the remaining portion of rice over it and spread it evenly.
- Pour the milk over it, and microwave on for 8 minutes.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve hot with Raita or chutney and enjoy.
- Make sure you don't overcook the rice other wise the Biryani will be soft and mushy.
- You can replace Soya nuggets with Paneer, if you want to make Paneer biryani.
- You can also add just the vegetables and make quick veg biryani using this recipe
- Make sure the soya nuggets are propery soaked and squeezed.
- You can replace mint with coriander leaves too for garnishing.
Back to blogging after a long gap! Hi, Everyone! Its been so long since I have posted anything on my blog. Now the Vacation period is over and I am back with a traditional North Indian breakfast Recipe. This time I am not the one […]
INGREDIENTS Boiled potatoes- 4 big Green chilli paste- 1 tsp. Ripe and big tomatoes- 2 Pureed Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp Coriander powder-1 tsp Deghi Mirch or paprika-1 tsp Amchoor powder-1tsp cumin seeds-1tsp. heeng ( Asafoetida)- a pinch Deghi mirch- 2tsp Salt- to taste Desi Ghee- 2tbsp […]