KACCHE KELE KA DAHI VADA
Happy Navrarti everyone!
Fasting with a Feast is my way of celebrating Navratris. This Special Navratri preparation is a healthy, easy and delicious choice for you to make as theses vadas are made in appe pan
The word “Navaratri” is a conjunction of two words “nava” (meaning “nine”) and “ratri” (meaning “night”). Spread over 9 nights and 10 days, it is one of the most sacred festivals in Hinduism where we worship Goddess Durga
Navratri signifies the change in season and celebrated in the months of March-April, the transition from Winter to Spring and in the months of September-October, the transition from summer to autumn,the period when days and nights are equal and balanced.The transition from one to the other season does not take place in just one day but in fact was considered in Indian thought, to be a full span of 9 to 10 days. So this transitional nature of Nature was earmarked as a period of time which is 9 days and 9 nights.
Navaratri is the expression of such a celebration where we recognize there is going to be a change, understand the change that is to follow and accept it willingly.Today I made Dahi Vadas made up of raw bananas. Raw(green)bananas are good for health and have less carbohydrates than potatoes. For anyone trying to avoid food with high sugar content, green bananas are an option whereas yellow bananas are not. for more benefits of raw bananas, check foot notes below.
Boiled Green Bananas-2 or 3 (depending on size)
Singara atta ( water chestnut flour)- 1 cup
low fat paneer grated- 1/2 cup
Boiled Potato – 1 medium grated
chopped Green chilies- 2
chopped cilantro or dhaniya leaves-1 tbsp.
Sendha Namak ( rock salt)- to taste.
Black pepper powder- 1tsp.
Oil 1 tbsp – for brushing the Appe Pan
low fat Dahi or Yogurt- 1 cup
For garnishing Dahi Vadas we need
Sendha Namak- to taste
Red chili powder-1/2 tsp.
Coriander( Fasting) Chutney – 1 tbsp.
Dates( Falahari)chutney- 1 tbsp.
cumin powder-1/2 tsp
Few Pomegranate seeds to use as toppings .
1. In a pan fill water and place the bananas to boil. Once they are boiled drain the water and let them cool. Make sure that bananas are not over boiled.Grate them or mash them with hands.
2.Take a big bowl and put bananas, grated Paneer, potatoes, salt, pepper,chilis,flour,cilantro leaves.Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
3.Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape each portion into a round vadas or spheres.
4.Place the appe pan on flame and brush each appe pan hole with oil. Place the vadas in the appe hole and cover it with a lid. Keep the pan on medium flame. After sometime flip the vadas and let them cook on the other side.
5. Once the vadas are cooked and roasted from all sides switch off the flame.
6. In the serving platter or bowl place the vadas. Pour beaten yogurt over the vadas. Garnish with chutneys, powders and garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds.
7. Sprinkle with salt, red chilli and bhuna jeera(cumin) powder and enjoy.
BENEFITS OF RAW /GREEN BANANAS
- For anyone trying to avoid food with high sugar content, green bananas are an option whereas yellow bananas are not. So those suffering from Type 2 Diabetes can eat the unripe fruit while maybe ripened bananas are not as compatible.
- Unripe bananas also have pro-biotic bacteria, a friendly bacterium that helps with good colon health. In addition, green bananas also help you absorb nutrients better, particularly calcium.
- The higher glycemic index of ripe bananas shows that they are digested quickly. Bananas also have higher levels of antioxidants as they ripen.
- One interesting fact about fully ripened bananas is that they produce a substance called TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor). This means that ripe bananas have anti-cancer qualities as they combat abnormal cells. The more dark patches a banana has, the higher its immunity enhancement quality will be.
Source of information