Gatte ki Sabzi is a very popular Main course dish from Rajasthan in India.It is made with besan or chickpea flour or gram flour. Absolutely Gluten free and low in carbs, besan ke Gatte ki Sabzi is loved by everyone in my family. I learned making gatte ki sabzi from my Husband’s Aunt who make superb Gatte ki Sabzi.
The word “Gatte ” means steamed chickpea flour dumplings, which are added to the spicy gravy to make this mouthwatering curry. First we prepare a soft dough using besan ( Gram flour ) and some spices and hen divide it into equal portions.
We make cylinders using the dough and then steam those cylinders.
Once the cylinders are steamed, we take them out and cut into equal sizes. Then we make a spicy gravy using onions, garlic, ginger,tomatoes , yogurt and some spices and then we put the dumplings in that gravy.Gatte ki Sabzi tastes best with hot chapatis or parathas.
If You are making Gatte ki sabzi for the first time here are the things to keep in mind.
1) Make sure that the besan you use to make a dough should have no lumps. The best way to prevent lumps is to seive the besan before kneading the dough.
2. The dough should be soft and not hard, other wise the dumplings may break.
3. When you boil the cylinderical shaped dumplings , make sure the water is hot.
4. Let the dumpling cool down completely before you cut into small pieces.
Here were the few tips to make perfect gatte. Even if you are not able to keep them in perfect shapes( which happened to me the first time), they will taste delicious, don’t worry and keep trying.
- 2 cups Besan or Gram flour or chickpea flour
- ½ tsp ajwain ( carrom seeds)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ cup dahi
- little warm water to knead a soft dough
- For gravy
- 1 big onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of heeng
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ cup Dahi or yogurt
- To Make Gatte, first seive the besan using a strainer and then in a big bowl mix all the ingredients required to make the dough. Make sure you keep your hands greased with oil so that the besan doesn't stick to you hands.
- Once a soft dough is kneaded,take a lemon size portion and make a cylinderical shaped dumpling.it should be around 4 inch in lenght and 1 inch in diameter.
- Make all the cylinders like this and keep aside.
- now boil water in a deep pan and once the water is hot add the dumplings one by one into the water.
- Cover them and let them cook for about 20 minutes on medium flame. Once Gatte are cooked, turn off the flame and take the gatte out in a plate. Save the water as we will use it in the gravy.
- Now the cut these cylindrical gatte into 1 inch thick slices and keep them aside.
- To make the gravy, heat oil in a pan. once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and Heeng.
- Now add chopped onions and cook them till they are transparent.now add ginger garlic paste and green chilies.
- Add all the dry spices and tomato puree add little bit of water. cook this mixture till it starts leaving oil from all the sides. Add the yogurt too.
- Now add the saved dumpling water and the dumplings. You can add more water if you want more gravy. Lastly add some garam masala and coriander leaves for garnish .
- Serve hot with rotis or parathas and enjoy!
1. Make sure that you seive the besan before making the dumplings.
2. Don’t put the dumplings in cold water , wait for the water to start getting boiled and then add the dumplings.
3 The dough should be soft other wise the dumplings with break when you will boil them.
4. If you don’t eat garlic and onion , you can skip adding them and just use the pureed tomatoes and ginger for gravy.
You may also like :-
I Hope you liked the recipe! Please do leave your feedback in the comments below. Follow me on Facebook HERE