Dal makhani is a popular dish originating from the Punjab region of the Indian Subcontinent. It is the most demanded north Indian food item in an Indian restaurant.It is a very delicious and rich recipe as it has got a lot of butter and cream. Due to its richness, people generally prefer to make it on special occasions or parties or weekends.
Dal Makhni or buttery lentil is made with a combination of whole Black Urad dal( lentil) and Rajma ( red kidney beans). Both lentils and Kidney beans are first soaked for about 4-6 hours and then cooked followed by tempering with spices.
My family and friends love the way I make my Dal Makhni. After trying many recipes from cookbooks and internet, I have finally concluded this recipe which is a full proof recipe. This recipe of Dal Makhni never fails and I always get a great response from my friends and family , whenever I cook it.
Our whole family waits for friday night dinner, as I generally cook some thing special on fridays. It may be some Paneer curry with Naan or Chicken Do Pyaaza with Rotis or Dal Makhni and Naan. I will be soon sharing my recipe for making fresh tawa Naan.
Coming on to Dal Makhni, It tastes great if you eat it after 6-8 hours. so if you are planning to serve it in dinner, make sure you are done making with Dal Makhni at lunch time or if you are planning to serve it in lunch then you can make it the previous night.
Here is the recipe
- 1 cup Urad dal
- 1 cup Rajma
- 4 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp- oil
- 3 tomatoes Pureed
- 1 tsp of crushed Karoori Methi
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 cloves
- 8 Black Pepper corns
- 1 cinnamon stick 1 inch
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole red chili
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Cream (or Yogurt)
- cilantro coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Water for cooking Dal
- Wash and Soak both Urad dal and Rajma for about 4-6 hours.
- Place both the Dal and Rajma in pressure cooker and add water( about 4cups), turmeric and salt. Pressure cook for about 3-4 whistles and turn off the flame.
- Open the cooker and stir the Dal and Rajma Mixture. If you think that the mixture is too dry add some more water and stir well.
- In a deep based Kadai /pan , add oil and once the oil is hot , add cumin seeds, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick and whole red chili. Give all this a quick stir and then add ginger garlic paste. Stir fry the mixture till the raw smell of ginger garlic fades away.
- Now add the tomato puree , red chili powder and mix well. Cook this mixture till the oil starts leaving the sides and base of the kadai.
- Now pour the dal and rajma mixture into the pan and add 2 cups of water. ( water should completely cover the daal and rajma mixture )
- Let these cook along with the added water and spices for about 45 minutes on a low flame.
- Keep stirring between so that the dal doesn't burn from the bottom.After 45 minutes add butter. kasoori methi leaves ,cream and lime juice.
- Cook for another 15 minutes and then switch off the flame. Garnish with cilantro ( coriander) leaves and serve it hot with Naan . Enjoy and get appreciated by everyone in your family!
- Soaking both the lentils and beans is very important so that they cook in less time.
- If you are count your calories, please replace cream with yogurt or dahi and skip adding butter.
- You can also use desi Ghee in place of butter if you want to.
- Cooking time in pressure cooker varies from one cooker to another cooker.