A delicious gluten free makeover of traditional Semolina upma, this cauliflower upma is no less in taste and texture. If you love to eat vegetables, try this healthy cauliflower upma, which has only vegetables in it. Isn’t it a novel way to include more vegetables in your diet?
“When you’re looking for foods that are going to keep you fuller for longer, look for ones high in fiber, healthy fats, and protein, or with a high water content,” says Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at Penn State University and author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan.
Do you know Cauliflowers are packed with nutrients and are surprisingly low in calories? What’s best is that they are very versatile and can actually be used in such a way that they help you lose weight!
I tried this cauliflower upma a few days back for breakfast. When you make up your mind to eat fewer carbs in a day, and you are a foodie too it becomes essential to make your food interesting, otherwise, after few days you just give up and start eating carb rich food again. As you all know, I love to cook and honestly speaking, if whatever I am cooking is not appealing to my eyes and tongue, I lose my interest in cooking too.
My close friend Jaya suggested me this idea a few months ago when we were discussing carb free recipes. At first, I didn’t believe that an Upma made out of cauliflower could be so delicious, but when I tried, it turned out really yummy. My husband and I loved the taste and above all, it is so filling.All you need to do is to replace the semolina with grated cauliflower and keep the rest of the method same.
Let us proceed towards the recipe
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 onion chopped
- ½ boiled peas
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 whole dry red chili
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 4-5 cashews
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- chopped cilantro ( dhania) for garnish
- lemon juice to add more taste
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into florets and spread it on a paper towel. let it dry.
- Now shred it using a food processor. You can also grate it finely if you want to.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or a nonstick pan and once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. Let them crackle and then add the urad dal, curry leaves, and red chili.
- saute this for a while and then, add diced carrot, bell peppers, and peas. cook this for 2-3 minutes and then add the cauliflower.
- Mix everything well and then add salt and coriander leaves. let this cook for 7-8 minutes on medium flame till the moisture from cauliflower dries up.
- Switch off the flame and take out the Upma in a serving bowl. Add some drops of lemon juice and garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot. Devour this healthy upma guilt free and enjoy.
1. The cauliflower should be completely dry before making Upma.
2. You can add more vegetables of your choice.
3. If you shred the cauliflower in a food processor make sure it is coarse and not very finely shredded.
Pin this post to view later
You may also like