Summers are the best time to enjoy your time and to initiate some important lifestyle changes. I live in a place where there is almost an eight-month long winter and only 4 months of summer. For eight months we are just confined indoors, the weather is dull, cold and snowy with very less sunny days.
Summers are really rewarding and since they come after a long wait, we try to enjoy every bit of it. The longer days mean more sunshine, which provides us with natural vitamin D. Brighter, warmer days provide plenty of opportunity for outdoor activities and exercise. And, summer provides us with greater access to an abundance of local fresh fruits and vegetables to incorporate into a healthier diet.
When I came to know that, this time the Culinary hoppers are bringing mock-tails as their theme, I was so sure that I would make something with fruits.
This recipe is a part of BLOG HOP – THEME MOCK-TAILS and my contribution is Cantaloupe Fizz with Mint and Ginger!
Cantaloupe is also known as Musk Melon or ” Kharbooja” in Hindi. It is known for being super-hydrating and sweet. And since cantaloupe is 90 percent water, it’s also the perfect fruit to help with hydration during those hot and sticky summer months. When I found this recipe on thekeyingredient.com, I knew it is going to be delicious. I twisted the original recipe a little bit keeping the major ingredients same. I also added few mint leaves to enhance the flavor more. You can check the original recipe here
The drink tastes so refreshing and soothing in these hot, humid and summer days that you would love to make it again and again. If you want you can skip adding the sugar as the melons are itself so sweet.You can also add honey in place of sugar to make it healthier.
Lets proceed towards the recipe.
- 2 cups cantaloupe or musk melon peeled and cut into cubes.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1cup water
- 4 inch piece fresh ginger cut into discs
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5-6 fresh mint leaves
- Put the cantaloupe pieces along with mint in a blender and make a smooth puree.
- Strain the puree using a mesh and collect all the juice in a bowl.
- In a small pan , boil the water ,sugar, sliced ginger and reduce the heat to medium and cook for 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame.
- Remove from heat and let stand until completely cool. You will see that the sugar syrup has formed.Remove the ginger pieces and discard.
- Once cooled,mix this sugar and ginger syrup with cantaloupe and mint juice. Add the lime juice and mix well.
- To serve first add few ice cubes in the glass and then fill half the glass with cantaloupe juice and then add the club soda for that fizz.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve cold. Enjoy!
- If you don't like sugar, you can add honey in place of sugar or completely skip the sugar and just add ginger water to your cantaloupe juice.
- Adding lime juice is optional if you want , you can skip this step too.
Jayashree Coconut Cucumber cooler
Piyali Strawberry Italian cream soda mocktail
Padma sea Breeze November mocktail
Frozen watermelon slush
Shubha Orange Glow Juice
Vani- Spring Fever Mocktail
Poornima Snowy Plover Mocktail
Anupama Virgin Berry Pina Colada
Virgin Pina Colada