Burfi is an Indian variety of fudge. Usually burfees are made from gram flour, coconut and many other ingredients, but I never heard of bread burfi. When I found this recipe on food food channel in India I quickly noted it down. Whie watching this recipe I had a dilemma about its taste but when I made it came out surprisingly delicious. The texture of this burfi is soft and kind of sticky due to sugar but it tastes awesome. Give it a try friends you will love it. The original recipe included white bread, but I made them using brown wheat bread.
Brown Bread-6 pieces
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Butter- 1 tbsp. Milk- 1/2 cup
cashews-7 or 8
Rose water-4-5 drops
oil to grease a square pan or thali
- Cut the edges of the bread and grind in a grinder to make bread crumbs. You can use ready made breadcrumbs too. They should be 1 cup.
- In a bowl put the bread crumbs and add milk to it. Stir it and keep this aside for 10 minutes.
- Put a non stick Pan or Kadai on flame. Add sugar and keep stirring it on low flame.
- After 5 minutes and grated coconut. You can use fresh coconut but I used store bought grated coconut. I think fresh will give a better flavor to burfi.
- when the sugar starts leaving water and turning little brown add in the bread and milk mixture. Keep stirring the entire mixture and add a tbsp. of butter.
- You can add chopped nuts to the mixture at this stage and keep stirring till the mixture becomes little dry.
- Add rose water drops now.
- Grease a square or round pan (THALI) and transfer the mixture into it. Set it with a flat knife.
- Keep this mixture in fridge for 1 hour so that the burfi mixture gets cool.
- After an hour take out the mixture and cut in desired shapes. Decorate with cashews and enjoy!