Bhindi Do Pyaza is a very yummilicious recipe my mother makes. Do pyaza means using lots of onions in the recipe. The unique flavor and texture of this curry comes because of the onions added in two different steps. First in the beginning, and other in the last.
This is one of my favorite recipes. I love Okra since my childhood. My mother cooks it in different ways.My son also loves bhindi or Okra and often asks me too cook it.
BHINDI DO PYAZA
Okra or Bhindi- 1/2 Kg
ginger chilli paste- 1 tsp
garlic paste-1 tsp
Tomato paste-3/4 cup
Red chilli powder-1tsp
Methi( Fenugreek) Seeds-1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp.
- Wash and pat dry okra or bhindi and then cut it vertically into two or four parts depending on the thickness.
- Put 1tbsp oil in a Wok(kadai) and stir fry okra till the color changes a little bit and it starts shrinking.
- Take it out after 10 minutes in a plate. Now add the remaining oil in the kadai. Put methi seeds or you can use methi powder also and roast for a minute on low flame till they start crackling. Slice the onion thinly and put half of them in Kadai.
- Add ginger paste and garlic and fry all the above ingredients till they turn golden.
- Add Tomato paste into this mixture and cook for 3 minutes. Now put all the spices and cook till the mixture starts leaving oil.
- Add Bhindi and then remaining onions on top. Cover the vegetable and cook till the bhindis become tender. Keep stirring in between so that they don’t burn. Turn off the stove and transfer in Platter. Garnish with roasted sesame seeds or Coriander leaves. Serve hot with Parantha or rotis and enjoy.
You can add spices of your choice like amchoor powder or chaat masala or any curry powder you like.Don’t overcook the bhindis and also don’t put water to cook them.