It’s back-to-school season, which means many parents like me are back to planning and packing lunches for the kids.Vacation was super cool, the routine was completely changed, kida used to wake up late and I used to start my cooking at around 8 am in the morning to make lunch for the family, But now as the vacation is ending, we need to come back to normal routine of waking up early and start packing the lunch box for kids.
When my blogger friend Sonal came to all bloggers with this concept of Lunch Box Ideas Collective post , I felt thankful to her as this post would be such a great help for all the mothers of school going kids. I am taking this post of mine to her collective and please visit here to find all the other exciting ideas shared by fellow bloggers .
My Lunch box idea is Beans and Sooji Appe ,boiled Kala Chana and oranges . Sooji Appe or semolina Appe or Paniyaram are bite size cute balls filled with finely chopped beans and carrots and are made in a special pan called Appe Pan.You can easily find this pan on Amazon.
Appe pan is a special kind of non stick pan which has small holes in it to make these Appe or Paniyaram .
Image source Google
Making Beans and Carrot Sooji Appe is very easy and quick and my kid loves them. Here is the recipe –
- 1 cup Sooji or Semolina
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 medium grated carrots
- 1/2 cup green beans finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2-3 tsp oil for cooking appe
- water to make batter
- In a big bowl, mix sooji and yogurt and keep aside for 15-12 minutes
- Mean while finely chop green beans, grate carrots and keep them aside too. You can add more vegetables of your choice too , but I kept the recipe short as we needed quick and easy lunch box in the morning.
- After 15 minutes, add water to the sooji- yogurt mixture and make a semi thick consistency batter. The batter should have the consistency of idli or pancake batter.Then add the veggies into the batter followed by salt and pepper.
- Pour little drops of oil in each appe pan hole and heat the pan on flame for some time. Once the pan is hot,pour the batter into the holes and cover the pan with lid. cook for 10-15 minutes on both the side , flipping in between.
- Once cooked from both sides they will be slightly golden in color . Serve with ketchup or chutney and enjoy.
- You can add more vegetables of your choice to the batter to make it more healthier.
- If the batter becomes too thick you can add water to make thin, but if the batter is too thin, you can add some wheat flour to make the batter thick.