Bajra ( Pearl Millet) is one of the oldest millet used by our ancestors. Along with wheat flour even bajra was included in the regular diet. It is known to have a very high fiber content which makes it healthier. Indian subcontinent is the largest producer of Pearl millet. Pearl Millet (Bajra) has rich composition of proteins and minerals and has several health benefits. It has the highest protein content for any grain.
Cooking and presenting healthy food to my family is a practice I try to follow regularly these days. I always try to find and experiment recipes that are healthy as well as delicious to eat. Incorporating healthy ingredients to our daily diet can make big changes to our health. These days I use Bajra, Ragi, Barley , Soy and gram flours also in making parathas or rotis.
My husband and Son are fond of Parathas, and they can have them everyday. I tried Bajra aloo paratha today, and they really came out so good. One good thing about these parathas are that they even taste awesome if eaten at room temperature.Since Winters are approaching eating Bajra is a good choice to include in your diet.
BAJRA ALOO PARATHA
1 cup Bajra ( Pearl millet) flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 boiled and peeled potatoes
2 tbsp yogurt(दही)
2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro( धनिया leaves)
1/2 tsp red chili powder
ginger chili paste- 1 tsp
1/4 tsp.carom seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt – to taste
Oil to brush Parathas
water to knead dough
- In a big bowl add Bajra flour ,wheat flour, grated potatoes, ginger chili paste, red chilly powder, salt, turmeric powder, carom seeds, cilantro, and yogurt and 1 tsp oil into it. Mix everything together really well and knead the dough with the help of little water.Set the dough aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed Tawa or skillet and heat it on stove. Divide the dough into equal balls about the size of a big lemon.
- Roll the dough into a circular disc( about 6-8 inch diameter) with a rolling pin gently. Don’t put much pressure on the discs.
- Place the discs( parathas) on tawa and start cooking it.When the parantha is slightly roasted from bottom, flip the parantha using a flat spatula. Spread oil on both sides of Parathas and cook till see brown spots all over it.
- Serve the parathas with yogurt, chutney and onions. With a bite of green chili these Parathas taste divine specially along with a cup of hot ginger tea.
Recipe inspired by NishaMadhulika.com
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BAJRA
Being rich in fiber content, bajra is good for diabetics, keeping the glucose levels normal.Bajra, being gluten free, is a very good food choice for those suffering from celiac disease who cannot tolerate gluten.
This whole grain supports weight loss as the high fiber content leads to a feeling of fullness for a prolonged period of time.
It is helpful in maintaining cardiovascular health and in acidity problems.
Bajra helps in reducing weight.
It controls blood sugar levels and hence good for diabetic.